Monday, August 31, 2015

Coffee and Texas

So, I get asked about coffee a lot.

Why is there so much coffee in your books?

Are you obsessed with coffee?

What’s the deal with the coffee? 

The whole coffee? I don’t like it.

Well, so far as I can tell, in all the time I’ve been Texan (longer than I like to admit), coffee is to Texans as tea is to the English. 

Do all Brits drink tea? Probably not. I don’t know all of y’all yet. Do all Texans drink coffee? Probably not, but I’ve met precious few that don’t. We offer it for comfort, for conversation, for the hell of it. We don’t even expect you to say yes, necessarily. But coffee’s a thing, and it’s not just for breakfast.

At my daddy’s house, the coffeepot comes on at 5 a.m. and it turns off at midnight. All my friends growing up did the same. At my house, there’s coffee. Constantly. It’s a thing. Your options for drinks at my house are coffee, tea or water. Same at my mom’s. At Daddy’s. At my Aunt D’s. 

Now, I buy good coffee; Daddy buys the stuff that is vacuum sealed in the giant economy sized can (OMG, the bitter), but that’s the difference.

I’d tell you I’d stop having characters ask if another character wants coffee, but it would be a lie.

That’s what we do.

Much love, y’all.

BA

3 comments:

Katherine Halle said...

Hmmm I'm not from Texas, but I never thought coffee was that big of a thing in your books, maybe that's because coffee is just a normal thing to me too LOL. Kind of like sweet iced tea. It's just there, all the time. Period.

kaytee said...

I'm not a Texan, my family is not Texan, but my parents and I live on coffee. The thing, only two of my seven siblings drink coffee. I start when I wake up and only stop when I go to sleep. I am immune to caffeine. Straight coffee flavored coffee, no sugar, no cream, just coffee, hot or over ice.

Moma Sue said...

Coffee is like air one must have it to exist. ;)