Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Next Big Thing

Let me start this whole thing out by saying that the internet is a magical thing.

Hear me out, y'all. 

I know that everyone (or at least lots and lots -- I mean, seriously, when did I become the type of person that says 'everyone' whenever I feel like someone doesn't agree with my point, like I'm this crazy downtrodden broad? *snorts* Adds 'stop doing that' to my amazingly huge list of New Year's resolutions) says that it's unhealthy to live electronically, but come on.

Kari Lynn? I would never have met her and become friends if it hadn't been for Twitter. I mean, come on, y'all, she lives where there's snow. Lots of snow. All the time. She tells me the temps at her house and I just think, "7 degrees? Honey, you dropped a zero somewhere..."

At any rate, she tagged my happy ass in this blog hop, and I said yes, because I'm a little bit of a masochist and friends say yes and I didn't know at the time that it would be so hard to tag other people (four of my original taggers said yes, about 6 people had already been poked). ;-)

At any rate, The Next Big Thing. It goes like this: a writer (that's me) posts the answers to a list of questions about their book (that's Terms of Release -- note, please that this is the book I'm working on in the next few minutes. I have the attention span of a gnat on crack and I'm currently writing 3 novels and a co-written one, plus a New Year's Eve short. Don't judge, just send coffee), then 'tags' five friends, who tag five more friends, and so on. Follow the links and you get to know folks and their books along the way.

That's it. 

So, I yammer on, you click links, we all get to get excited about the upcoming books (and Kari Lynn Dell? WRITING A BULLFIGHTER. OMG. *ahem* Yes. Talented lady, that cowgirl. *sparkles with the bullfighter love*

 

What is the working title of your next book?

Terms of Release. 

Where did the idea come from for the book?

So, I'm a music psycho. I was reading a book that was trying to convince me to outline a novel instead of just making it up as I go when this song come on the iTunes. Modern Day Prodigal Son by Brantley Gilbert.

I stopped reading.

I hit replay.

I burst into tears.

When Julia woke up from her nap, Sage had a beginning, even though I don't have room for him in the schedule. 

What genre does your book fall under?

Contemporary western m/m romance. 

What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?

*lips twist* Hrm. Sorry, y'all. That's not how I roll. Sage looks like Sage (a wee pocket cowboy with bad knees and sad eyes and I just want to squish him) and Win looks like Win, who looks like his daddy, but younger and hotter.. Sage's daddy looks sorta like my daddy and Sage's momma looks very much like my best friend's mom looked twenty years ago...

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

After eight years in the federal pen for killing his lover, Angel, the last thing Sage Redding wants in the world is to go back to his tiny east Texas town where everyone knows his name, his former lover's uncle is the sheriff, his brother-in-law thinks he's a pedophile and Angel's daddy owns the county, but his daddy's got Parkinson's and needs him home and there's a war hero turned cop that may need him home, too. 

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

I sort of promised this book to a publisher I haven't worked with yet. ;-) 

How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?

*snorts* I'll let you know. This one's going to be a long one.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Hrm... think a mix of Old Town New and the Roughstock boys, but set where Chasing Flame is.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

*ponders that* 

I have this love/hate relationship with tiny-town Texas. Obviously I love it -- I grew up there, my family is there, my heart is there. My daddy. Sisters. Nieces. My friends. I know that place like I know my own bed.

But.

I don't live there. I can't. I'm a pink-haired, tattooed, opinionated lesbian that refuses to apologize for being who I am. It's impossible to go home without making the people that live there incredibly uncomfortable and, unfortunately, that can lead to violence. I'll never be able to go home again. I know that.

Terms of Release is me working through all that mess in my soul.

What else about the book might pique the reader’s interest?

I'm not shying away from the prison experience, or the psychological shit that being incarcerated pulls on a man. Sage is broken in a way I've never written before. I'm praying for him. (Is that weird? To genuinely need for them to be okay?)

And now for the fun part:

I get to pass the buck to other suckers!

Bella Leone -- Oh, y'all. I got the incredible luck of meeting Bella in person this year and I can tell you, she's like a tiny blinding light of pure joy.

Kerry Freeman -- *cackles* Let me tell you, Ms. Freeman makes me laugh. Also, she can karaoke her ass off. I forgive her for rooting for 'Bama. Mostly. ;-)

Sean Michael -- What can I say? This is my best friend and the most prolific author I know. 

Simone Anderson -- Simone is another one of those folks that you can just sit and chat with for a hundred million years and then look up and go, "wait, what day is it?"

 

So there you go. Hop, skip and jump through the links, backward and forward, and meet a whole bunch of great people. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, this book is gonna break my heart, isn't it? *huggles Sage and BA* It sounds AMAZING! And I'm so glad to hear that there's someone else out there who doesn't have a movie star in mind when creating characters. People always ask me "Well, who does he look like?" And my first answer is "Like himself!". :)

Looking forward to meeting Sage and his war hero/cop and checking out some new blogs!

Katherine Halle said...

UGH can I just copy what Button said? (why yes we do oftentimes share a brain)

But that aside, I went and looked that song up on iTunes - and HOLY F**K I can see why you were inspired - I only heard the 1:30 snippet and already I could kind of picture Sage. It was heartbreaking :( It actually kind of made me want to write cowboys and I know two things about cowboys..Jack and S**T :D

This book I'm sure is going to make me cry (and I kind of hate to cry sometimes) and I bought the damn song! *sigh*

I'm so excited for this and you've just started.

Laura said...

That sounds like a fantastic book.

Once I mustered the willpower to tear my eyes away from the rest of the blog and read the actual post, that is... ;)